©  Photo:

Junget Church

Visit Junget Church and see the pulpit from 1595, erected by Albert Skeel, whose executed body was later buried beneath it.

Junget Church – A Place of History and Mystery

Junget Church invites you on a journey through centuries of Danish history. From the outside, it appears as a classic longhouse church, with the chancel and nave forming one seamless structure. The original Romanesque church is partly preserved – look for the small nave with its beautiful southern portal and traces of the old women’s entrance on the north side.

In 1552, Grættrup Church was demolished and merged with Junget parish. At that time, Junget’s chancel was removed, and the church extended eastward. Old ashlar stones were reused, along with monk bricks – possibly even from Grættrup.

The late medieval tower features a rounded arch with decorative corbels, possibly from the original chancel arch. A new triumphal wall was added in 1932 – in a rather random location.

In the porch, built in 1871, stands a column base believed to be part of the old north door. The pulpit from 1595 was erected by Albert Skeel and Anne Kaas in memory of their son Bjørn Skeel. Their coat of arms appears on the chalice, candlesticks, and pew ends.

Albert Skeel was executed in 1609 – and during restoration in 1932, a skeleton was found beneath the pulpit, with the head separated from the body. It is believed to be Albert Skeel, secretly brought home for burial.

The altar table and baptismal bowl bear the arms of Hans Bille and Kirsten Lunge, along with those of their parents. The granite baptismal font was reshaped around 1880.

Southwest of the church lies an impressive family grave site for the Qvistgaard family, owners of Jungetgård from 1781 to 1880.

Get more inspiration here:

Destination Limfjorden © 2025
English